Dariusburst, or Darius Burst, is a game for PlayStation Portable. It is the first complete new entry in the Darius-series since G-Darius. A remixed version for the arcade called Dariusburst: Another Chronicle was released in 2010. An update for it also was released in 2011, called Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX. Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours is a home version of Dariusburst ACEX and was released on December 4, 2015 for US and European territories, and on January 14, 2016 in Japan. It was released for PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and Windows. The game is also occasionally, retroactively referred to as Dariusburst: Prologue.
The game was ported, with some modifications, to iOS and the Android as Dariusburst: Second Prologue in 2012. The Android version was released in the US by Degica on October 24, 2015. The Apple TV (4th Generation) version was released on 2016.
Darius year 1904: Belsar attacked Darius, which had been revived by the people who immigrated from Vadis. The oppening approach that the Belser struck first with was a Virus that knocked out all inter-planetary communication systems. During this chaos, the Belser struck hard and delt a hefty blow to the Darian forces. Destroying the entire fleet in the blink of an eye. Out of the wreckage, two new cutting edge, new model Silver Hawks, equiped with the brand new Burst technology were entrusted to the humanoid AI Terminal Ti2, and test pilot Riga Practica. Together, with the Silver Hawk Burst fighters, the heroes face nigh-impossible odds as they fight alone against the Belser Fleet.
Dariusburst keeps with the same gameplay systems from previous installments, with the player's ship being equipped with forward-firing shots, bombs and a shield.
New to this installment is the Burst mechanic, which replaces the Alpha Beam mechanic from G-Darius. By pressing the Burst button, the player ship will fire a thick laser forward which rapidly consumes the meter at the bottom, while quickly tapping the button twice will fix the laser cannon in place, consuming less meter. Depending on the ship's mechanics, releaseing the fire button with the Burst laser in place will make it turn either in the ship's direction or to the opposite direction, giving it more strategic uses. Additionally, bosses also come equipped with their own Burst Cannons, allowing the player to counter them with their own by pressing the button at the exact time the boss cannon is fired or by moving into the boss's laser and pressing the button as the laser hits the ship; this will strenghten the player's laser while allowing it to consume less meter. The meter constantly refills by destroying enemies.
Three gameplay modes are available:
- Arcade Mode: The game's standard mode. Here players can choose difficulty, number of lives and ship. There is also an unlimited amount of continues.
- Mission Mode: Here players choose a specific mission from a selection of missions with only one life, no continues and a set number of power-ups. These missions puts the player against a boss, a level, both or multiple bosses and levels with a pre-chosen ship and thus functions as both the game's Boss and Level Select. Mission Mode is unlocked by having complete Arcade mode with at least two different paths.
- Burst Mode: Similar to the Arcade Mode, but with only one life and no continues. On the other hand the ships entire arsenal is fully upgraded from the get-go and the player can at any time switch between using missile, laser or wave beam. Burst Mode is unlocked by having completed Arcade mode with at least three different paths.
Three spaceships are available in Dariusburst. The first ship, the Silver-Hawk Legend, is piloted by two terminals referred as TI2. The second ship, the Silver-Hawk Next, is piloted by Riga Pratica. A third, unlockable ship, Silver-Hawk Origin, is based on the original Silver Hawk model from Darius.
Levels and Bosses
- S-Yazuka Takami
- Eunoi X9
- Katana I12
- Gi Washikka P16
- Tako Yo C31
- Tsumalachi Q9
- Tohi Mort
- Mayariku D20
- Yachi Two
- Raguo F88
- Rawagas Z19
- Rawagas Z22
- Wa Gasseja H23
- Wagataki L7
- Jitsumi P21
- Tajif A9
- Tomoyama J26
- Bencer G 25
- Mezhi W29
The standard version of Dariusburst was released in Japan on Christmas Eve (24 December) 2009. A "DX" version was also available for pre-order.
In addition to the game the DX version also include:
- Darius Odyssey CD: A Collection of Darius-series soundtracks; 17 of these are from Darius Twin and have never been published on CD before.
- Darius Odyssey Book: A 100-page book including machine design sketchs, boss-info, stage trees, endings, a chronological table and an interview with ZUNTATA.
- A towel with artwork of, and stats for, Iron Fossil.
- A t-shirt with artwork of Legend, Next and Iron Fossil.
The game received no US nor European release, despite being rated at least for European territories in 2010.
Dariusburst: Second Prologue
Second Prologue for the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android features the following gameplay modes:
The original game's Arcade Mode with readjusted balance, rearranged music, some of Another Chronicle and Another Chronicle EX's new bosses and the Assault ship.
Levels and Bosses
|Planet Darius||Warp Gate||Enemy's|
The original game's Arcade Mode.
A mode similar to the original game's Mission Mode.
- Official Dariusburst Website (Redirect Link)
- Wayback Machine: Official Dariusburst Website (Archived August 4, 2010)
- Wayback Machine: Official Dariusburst: Second Prologue Website (Archived February 13, 2012)
- Wayback Machine: Famitsu Website- Dariusburst (Archived March 16, 2010)
- ↑ http://www.taito.co.jp/csm/dariusburst/
- ↑ http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m8d25-Darius-Burst-announced-for-PSP
- ↑ http://www.siliconera.com/2009/08/25/warning-a-huge-battleship-darius-burst-is-approaching-fast/
- ↑ http://www.destructoid.com/fishies-and-lasers-in-these-darius-burst-screenshots-147372.phtml
- ↑ http://www.the-magicbox.com/0909/game090903d.shtml
- ↑ http://darius.jp/dbcs/
- ↑ Darius Odyssey, CA-ver., Taito (2015). p. 55
- ↑ http://ebten.jp/p/7015009110901/?aid=db
- ↑ http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/17/dariusburst-is-approaching-europe-fast/